In any negotiation between mentor and mentee you should be:
- seeking the best possible outcome
- maintaining a critical and professional dialogue
- enhancing the trust between you
- gaining useful information that will stand your future relationship in good stead
- considering each other's needs and wants.
Your negotiation will be unsuccessful if:
- either of you is aggressive
- either of you is not willing to collaborate
- you maintain a defensive stance
- you consider that only your view is important
- you do not question one another.
print - back to scenario