The list below shows examples of aims and objectives for a trainee teacher mentoring scheme.
These outline the broad notions of the scheme in terms of overall achievements:
- To make sure that student teachers on placement in colleges have a trained mentor to support their development.
- To raise the standards of teacher trainee performance whilst on teaching practice.
- To foster a collaborative partnership between the teacher education institution and the work placements.
- To enhance the skills of work-based teacher educators.
These are the operational targets that should bring about the desired aims:
- Hold a partnership meeting termly with work-based teacher educators.
- Establish a service level agreement around mentoring of student teachers.
- Ensure that all teacher mentors have undergone mentor training within the first year of operation.
- Evaluate the mentoring scheme by designing and using a research method that includes all stakeholders and is related to the aims of the scheme.
- Research findings to be shared at final partnership meeting and mentoring scheme reviewed.
print - back to scenario